I Help Competitive Cyclists Unlock Their Potential
I help competitive cyclists to ride faster with the latest science-based information and actionable advice.
I focus mostly on Semi-Pros, which are Cat 1/2/3 (A grade) riders.
I focus on science based information and actionable advice. The very first questions I ask about your training are: what are you trying to optimise for and what bottleneck is stopping you from reaching your potential?
My job is to find solutions to resolving your weaknesses, and doubling down on your strengths by outlining specific exercises and sessions to improve them. I do this by analysing your data (HR, power, times, feedback) then using that data to formulate a program that is specific and precise, geared towards attaining your training and race goals.
What are your goals? Want to maximise each training session? Train more efficiently? Increase your power? Learn proper race craft? Maybe you want to win the local crit? Or maybe, you want to win a national title?
I believe– and have seen it happen many times amongst my athletes and listeners– it’s possible to optimise your life and training to accelerate your ability to achieve all these things.
Here’s the story on why I love cycling…
The last time I had raced was the National Mountain Bike Championships in 1998. After achieving all the goals I set myself, I had no drive and nothing left to prove. I was a national champion. I had toured Europe and rode in the World Mountain Bike Championships the year before, but I didn’t have the drive to step up to the big leagues, and so I left the sport.
After experiencing a world outside of cycling – including finishing a Psychology degree, and releasing a Hip Hop album – in October 2006 I started racing again.
I went from not finishing C grade crits (2007) to top 10s in A grade (2009), winning the B grade club championship and top tens in the Open category of MTB Marathons.
I was able to do this by hiring a coach, optimising my life around training, and getting focussed on recovery and nutrition. All while holding down a stressful full time job. It was about being analytical with my training, learning the “80/20” of my time, and using the data to train as efficiently as possible.
I believe in the power of bike racing to change lives.
It’s not the story of bike racing that make cycling great. It’s the story of you racing your bike that makes cycling great. When you compete against everyone else, no one wants to help you. But when you compete against yourself, everyone wants to help you. I believe cycling is the greatest individual sport on earth. It empowers you to feel deeply satisfied and rewarded.
That’s why Semi-Pro Cycling Performance Coaching is focussed on optimising your life through power-based cycling performance. Everything I do is to help you push yourself further – whether it’s mental, physical or equipment based. Semi-Pro Cycling Performance Coaching is all about helping you take your riding to the next level.
I love cycling and have been riding for over 20 years. I was never a PRO. I’m just a guy who loves cycling, and I love coaching and helping other riders who want to get faster.
What I do:
- I help other cyclists reach the next level in their riding. I do this via one-on-one coaching. SPC coaching packages give you proven science and training techniques to ride like never before. All packages feature tailored training plans, expert analysis, and results based feedback to keep you on track.
- I help clubs and teams to get fast together. I do this via coordinated training plans and group check-ins. Group coaching is perfect starting point for any team that wants to maximise the group strengths and approach races and training professionally with analysis and feedback.
How do I get started with this site? (Start with the podcast!)
The Semi-Pro Cycling Performance Podcast was born in July 2012. At first it was in reaction to the slow decay of a certain Tour de France commentary team. It then grew to be a weekly podcast covering performance and science-based training insights. Which led me to focus on the the aspects of training and racing that offer the best results, such as power meters, mobility, recovery and proper race craft, and optimising your life around your training.
If you’d like to learn more about the show or get involved with the SPC Podcast, you can:
- get started by subscribing to the Semi-Pro Cycling Podcast, and listening to some of our back episodes. (The podcast has received over 100 5-star iTunes reviews).
- subscribe via the RSS link for Android users or check it out on Stitcher.
- join us on Facebook, swing past and say hello 🙂
Want to listen to the best episodes?
I have an email course where I will send you the best episodes over a 30 day period.
Here is a list of the specific things I’ll cover in the free email course:
- The 3 Best Marginal Gains for Quick Wins
- Climbing Tactics and Tips
- Hacking PRO Recovery Tools and Techniques
- How a Warmup Framework Can Save your Race Day
- What Performance Enhancing Drinks to Use
- Solving Travel Challenges
- Increasing Riding Performance with Music
- Finding Cheap Momentum to Save you Energy
How to connect with me
- Follow me on Twitter. I love twitter and use it on the reg. You can find me @damianruse
- Leave me a message by clicking here.
- You can write me an email email@example.com.
If you want to check out more of my podcasts, I organised them from the top on this page Semi-Pro Cycling Podcast.